Sunday, November 12, 2006

In A Strange Land

I've finished the first few days with Damien Rice. We're in LA doing promo stuff. First we did Jay Leno. There isn't much for me to do at TV stuff so I mostly did nothing. Borat & Martha Stewart were on too so that made for good fun. She tried to teach him how to make a bed. One of Jay Leno's "things" is that he drives a different, crazy car to work every day. The last time I was there he pulled in a weird tube thing made by Indian. This time he rolls up in a 1930-something Bentley roadster. Nothing says "Look At ME!!" more that Jay Leno's massive head sticking out of this car.





Next we did Morning Becomes Eclectic which is a great morning music show on KCRW. Again not much for me to do so I just paid attention and got my head around their music a bit. They did a few great stripped down versions of some new songs. It was pretty sweet. The next day had us in Long Beach doing an instore at cool little record shop. This was my first time really mixing them. The prep was a bit of a pain in the ass (as in stores usually are) and the gear was less than great. All in all I thought it sounded pretty good and the band was great. Damien is really talented and has surrounded himself with great musicians. Lisa Hannigan sings with him and has the most beautiful voice I've ever put through a speaker. They're all really nice people though it's always weird being the new guy coming into a tight-knit group. I'm also finding being in a hotel particularly depressing. I'm going to be kicking myself in a couple weeks when I'm on a stanky bus in the midlands of England. I suppose I should enjoy LA while I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker