Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Festival Season Ends...

Well, at least the European part. I woke up on the bus at the festival site in Benicassim, Spain. This was the first European festival I did back in 2002 w/Radiohead. It's pretty cool as festivals go. It starts late since it's so hot and goes till mid-morning in the dance tents. There's a swimming pool and open bar backstage so it's good times...


Did the soundcheck and went to check into the hotel. Matt & I hopped a cab to the beach for another few hours in the sun and sea. This time the beach was sandy which felt good after the rocks in Nice.
Matt rocked his undies on the beach...


Got back to the festival in time to catch most of the Futureheads. I miss those boys dearly and I thought they killed. Lots of people turned out to see them open up the main stage. Bittersweet I tell ya.

The 'heads show the Spaniards what for...


The Pixies followed and were great...

I was happily nodding along to Monkey's Gone To Heaven when Charles stopped the song and the band walked abruptly off stage. Turns out the barricade at the front of the stage had broken and people were getting crushed. Nobody ended up hurt but the show stopped for a good 20-30mins. They fixed it with bars from the staging and ratchet straps. Oh the Spanish... professional to the last.

First get 50,000 kids to back up...


I'd love to know what part of the stage these were taken from...


A first rate mickey mouse job...



After Echo & The Bunnymen gave new meaning to the term "bored to tears" the Strokes came out and crushed a great crowd. Oh the Spanish... how they love to jump around and scream their approval.

The last note of Take It Or Leave It...


We weren't onstage till 1:30am and we had an 11am leave for the airport so I only had 2 hrs sleep before we flew to Lisbon to do a show that night. It was another late set and I had a 6am leave for the airport so I didn't even get to bed that night. Now I'm in Amsterdam enjoying 3 days off before heading to Seoul and the rest of our round-the-world journey. It's been mostly spent trying to shake out of a sleep-deprived haze, just in time to plunge headlong into 2 weeks of living on planes, perpetual jetlag and other fun. And so...to Korea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker